Monday, December 8, 2008

A lot of Related Things I've thought

I don't have an Art Post today, but I wanted to make aware of some things I've been seeing lately. I bought the DVD series Joss Whedon's Firefly maybe over a year ago. When I have dinner, I usually like to put an episode or two on, but the problem I faced in those situations is falling asleep from a delicious meal and not watching the show. I've been advised it was a great show, and though i never doubted that, I just never got around to watching it again, afraid that I would not like the show if my sleeping meant that it was boring. I'm try to think of myself not being a conformist, but if I actually think a show is good, haven't seen it, and hear from my group of friends it is good, then I have faith that I will probably like it. So I tried to find the right moment in my life to not fall asleep.

Watch it while eating breakfast, not dinner.

I was able to make it through the pilot episode and it was fantastic! And I noticed alot more familiar faces who have gone onto other characters in various movies, shows, etc. But it was awesome! And I want to watch more.

Based on the faith I have from this new viewing, my friends' fandom of it, and the general public's love of it, one has to wonder why it got cancelled. Firefly only ran for one season on the FOX channel. Why? What is up with FOX??

I ask that question because one of my favorite shows I have ever seen is Arrested Development, and I haven't even made it through the entire series yet! And Arrested development, another FOX series, was cancelled after it's third. Yet it is one of the most well-written comedies of this generation. I mean, better than even The Office. So why do shows like Two and Half Men survive?

You may have seen a movie this summer called Sex and the City. It made LOTS of money. LOTS of money. And it was a TV show, too. Not that I'm saying it was a bad show, but it performed well beyond my expectations.

Now wait a second. Firefly had its own show come back as a movie. Serenity. And it did not do outstandingly. It satisfied fans and people loved having a real conclusion from it. And the X-files came back with it's second movie. Which did the same thing, satisfied its core fans and life went on.

I guess the point I want to make is...

1. WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE SEX IN THE CITY THAT MADE THE SUCCESS???

And now only because of it's success are properties like Arrested Development and Veronica Mars being tossed around to make into movies.

The second point i want to make is that Dollhouse is in development hell. Dollhouse is Joss Whedon's next project. He did the previously mentioned Firefly series and created Buffy the Vampire Slayer as well as the Angel spin-off. But why oh why is he putting it in the hands of FOX?? It was to premiere this Fall 08 season but the pilot went back and will probably be released in Jan 09. Did they want it to compete against Lost or something? Or did they want to be jerks like they were with Firefly and Arrested Development? I guess the point I want to make is...

2. WHY DOES FOX HAVE TO SUCK??

I mean seriously, even your news sucks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) You gotta understand, Jeremy, that Sex and the City is kinda a cultural phenomenon. Plus, it's actually a well done show..... I... like it... :I

2) Fox does anything for money.

David Chen said...

it's no question that Fox is a horrible company; with the exception of Uwe Boll, They've trashed so many good VG movie licenses (Hitman, Max Payne) and now they're planning on killing Watchmen.

But hey, at least it's not LIONSGATE.